Haihaya was the capital of Kings in Raipur city to control the traditional forts of Chhattisgarh for a long time
Raipur, the state capital, is historically and archaeologically significant. This district was once part of Dakshin Kosala and was considered under the Maurya Empire. The city of Raipur was the capital of the Haihaya Kings to control the traditional forts of Chhattisgarh for a long time. The city of Raipur has existed since the 9th century. The old site of the city and the ruins of the fort can be seen in the southern part of the city. The Satavahana Kings ruled this part until the second and third centuries. The region was occupied by King Samudragupta in the fourth century AD and established his dominions until the fifth to the sixth century AD when this part came under the rule of the Sarabhapuri King. For some period in the fifth century, the Nala kings dominated the region.
The Somanvani kings later took over the region and ruled with Sirpur (Sripur-the City of Wealth) as their capital city. Mahashivagupta Balrajuna was the most powerful emperor of this dynasty. His mother, Rani Vasata, widow of Harsha Gupta of Somvansh, built the famous brick temple of Lakshmana. The Kalachuri king of Tuman made Ratanpur the capital for a long period of this part. Older inscriptions of Ratanpur, Rajim and Khallari refer to the reign of the Kalachiri kings. It is believed that King Ramachandra of this dynasty built the city of Raipur and later made it the capital of his kingdom. Another story about Raipur is that Raipur was founded by Brahma Dev Rai, son of King Ramachandra. Their capital was Khalvatika (now Khallari). The newly built city was named ‘Raipur’ after Brahmadev Rai. It took place during his time in 1402 A.D. The temple of Hajraj Nayak, Hakeshwar Mahadev, was built along the banks of the Kharun River. The lack of rule of this dynasty came with the death of King Amarsingh Dev. After the death of Amarasinghe, this region became the region of Bhosle kings. With the death of Raghuji III, the area was eclipsed by the British government from Bhonsla in Nagpur and Chhattisgarh was declared a separate secretary in 1854 with headquarters at Raipur. After independence Raipur district was included in the Central Provinces and Berar.
More about this source textSource text required for additional translation information